Monday, May 3, 2010

Pro's of Eating Organic

At the Arboretum we have an organic garden. There are numerous reasons why it is good to be organic and reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbra Kingsolver, has enlightened me on some of these reasons.

Many people do not know exactly what it means to be “organic” or why it is considered healthy. When a plant or garden is organic, it means no chemicals or herbicides have been added to the soil or plant. Everything is in its natural state and is able to decompose.

But what are the benefits of growing and eating organic? Organic produce gives more nutritional value then those that are “conventional”. These fruits and vegetables have to fight off predators themselves. They are not able to hide themselves when a rodent comes along because they have roots in the ground. Whatever a plant has to go through, it endures it on its own, with no help.

Plants also build up their own immunity to diseases and pest-fighting compounds when they have not been sprayed with chemicals. When plants are not sprayed with chemicals, they typically have higher levels of antioxidants. These antioxidants are not supposed to be for us, but for the plants. We like to take advantage of the fact they can produce this. Antioxidants can help prevent certain diseases, cell aging, and tumor growth.

Organic food is great in taste and I feel like I can tell the difference when I eat organic produce versus conventional. I typically have more energy and feel happier when I eat organic food. This could be because I am aware of eating it and know the benefits of eating it; however, I am happy to know that when I eat organic produce I putting good things in my body.

Even though it may be pricey to buy organic produce, it may be worth it in the end with the health benefits.

No comments: